Sunday, October 22, 2017

Northwards


When i had turned just sixteen 
I headed out alone
I'd come in search of someplace 
Where i could call a home 
I took a night boat ferry 
And i headed over sea
I'd never travelled in my life
But a traveller i would be

The ferry docked in England 
And i stepped upon this land 
With nothing but a suitcase 
And a little hope in hand 
I got on board my first train 
And hurtled 'long the track 
My journey heading northwards 
There was no turning back

I made my way through cities 
Saw buildings standing tall 
I read the many slogans 
On the sides of every wall 
The grey became more greener
And i knew that i was here 
The clouds that journeyed with me 
Seemed to fade then disappear 

Arriving there in Yorkshire 
Where my destination ends 
I soon could rest my weary head 
Amongst my new found friends 
They welcomed me as stranger 
Like folks of Yorkshire do
And showed me all its beauty 
In a land forever true 

And living in the rose was where i'd longed for all along 
A place where i was welcome and a land where i belonged 
My heart would take her in...  Just like an old and faithful friend 
And she will stay right there within me till the end 

I walked the dales many times 
I'd climb the highest hills
As smoke poured from the factories 
And red brick dressed the mills 
I'd marvel at her beauty 
And fall in love with her 
The "home" within my thankful heart 
Is how i would refer 

I grew up in her glory 
She'd comfort me at night 
But inside i felt something deep
A feeling i must right
And with her endless blessing 
She showed me i was free
She'd turned a boy into a man
And all he came to be

Many years had passed by
And i packed my bags to leave 
To my rose i'd say goodbye 
Without her i would grieve 
I headed southwards hurting
To my birthplace i'd return 
But never does a day go by
For her i do not yearn 

And living in the rose was where i'd longed for all along 
A place where i was welcomed and a land where i belonged 
My heart would take her with me.... like an old and faithful friend 
And she will stay right here within me till the end...  
She will stay right here within me till the end 

No comments:

Post a Comment