Friday, November 24, 2017

The Child You Never Knew


I never felt a fathers smile
On the day that i was born 
I didn't know the fear of you 
Of that, i wasn't shown 
The years went by, and still...
I'd hadn't held a fathers hand
But now the father that i am
Will never understand
For here i was, your new born son 
A fathers pride and joy 
Did you ever see, the good in me 
Your little baby boy 
Now here i am, that child a man 
A man that's proud and true 
And nothing, that i've done in life 
Is any thanks to you
Yet now I'm old, i find myself
Forgiving you at last 
As somethings changed within my heart 
Your hurt is long my past 
And if you hear, i even thank you 
For all you didn't do 
As here i stand, a better man 
The child you never knew 
My children, they are beautiful 
In truth, i have to say 
Without you, i'd have never had
The joy that came my way  
And one day, in the years ahead 
I will meet you once again 
And i will stand before you
As a son without your shame 
As your neglect was pitiful 
Yet made the man in me 
And all the things you never were
Was what i came to be 

No comments:

Post a Comment