Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Marriage

I asked her if she'd marry me
She said "I have nothing to lose
My body wears these tattered clothes
My feet walk in these broken shoes"
Said I "If you should say I do
I'll give my life, my very heart"
Said she "I'll love as best I can
At least till death tears us apart"
She married me and as my wife
She gave me children, two in all
Our daughter she was born one spring
Our son arrived in fall 
They were our joy and as they grew
I looked at her with some surprise
As she was gazing back at me
With teardrops in her eyes
I asked her "Have I pleased you?
Since the day you said you'd be my wife
You've never said you love me
'Though we've shared a lovely life"
Said she "I once had nothing
And no money ever came our way
But you gave what you promised
And I'll not regret that day"
When years had passed and death was near
We lay upon our wedding bed
She called me closer, whispered
And her final words were said
"I've loved you from our very start
It took this long to realise 
That when death does tear us apart
True love never dies"
I kissed her as she passed away
Her dying breath she'd left with me
I told her "Don't go too far now
I'll soon be there with thee"
Everyday from then and on
I felt her standing at my side
My true love never far away
Embraced me when I died

No comments:

Post a Comment